Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Week 3, May 9-15 CSA Share Contents

Howdy do, folks? It seems I'm communicating with all of y'all via the blog and newsletters these days. I'm sad to say that I still haven't met everyone in the CSA yet, since I've been staying home studying for my prelim exam - but that's only going to be the case for another week and a half and then I'll be right there with Ben at the drop sites!

So, I did a little something different this week with the pictures of the share contents. I know a lot of CSAs use boxes and that's something we haven't really been doing. We don't use the boxes for a few reasons. The most important reason is because we prefer to keep the produce nice and cool so when you come to pick it up it's in great condition. Heat works wonders on these veggies and once they wilt, it's all over. Another reason, which will become pretty apparent once you check out these pictures, is that the produce just won't fit in one box - at least not a box with a lid on it. I took pictures of each of the items in the box and I also tried to include everything in the box, so y'all could get a nice view of what it would look like if you did get a box of your share.

So, without further adieu...

Here's the box with the contents of this week's share all together (minus the dill and cilantro - it seems I forget to take a picture of something every time!)

Broccoli

Dandelion greens

Rainbow chard

Strawberries (one quart for small and regular shares; 2 for large shares)

Berry close up

Snow peas

Close up

Baby leeks

Bok choy

Kale

Kale close up

Red bibb lettuce

Green romaine lettuce

Tatsoi

Scallions

The baby leeks are on top, scallions on the bottom here.

My, that sure is pretty!

Alrighty. That's all folks! See you in a week or two. Take care and thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this so wonderful! Thanks so much for the pictures Patricia - I'm even more excited about my share now! I predict that the kale (as in kale CHIPS) and strawberries will go the fastest...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    I figured you'd be happiest about the kale comeback ;). Broccoli and snow peas are pretty yummy too (and I included a recipe that incorporates both in the newsletter).

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shares have been awesome so far - I'm so glad we switched CSA alliances this year! :-) Good luck on your exams Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassie,

    I'm so glad you're happy with the shares! Thanks for the support for the prelim. I'm taking it tomorrow and on Tuesday I'll be able to have that great sigh of relief that it's over :). See you at market next week.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete